Skip to main content

Introduction


Hi! I'm Vera. A long time ago, I took computer science courses at university. I used my coding skills occasionally when I was working as a scientist, but it wasn't a big focus at all of the work I was doing.

Fast forward many years from there, and I installed Linux on my computer. My computer ran so much faster and lighter that I could get a lot more done in less time. Woohoo!

Fast forward another year, and I decided that running Linux without doing any scripting or programming was a bit like owning a sports car and driving it only to the supermarket and back. So, I decided to (re)-learn some programming.

There were good and bad points this: good, that I had learned programming when younger. Bad, that enough time had passed that I had forgotten a lot of what I'd learned. On a positive note, this freed me up to not tie me to a particular language. I'd have to learn a full language from scratch anyway, so why not let it be a language that would work for the problems I wanted to solve?

I set about looking for a high-level language. I wanted to run it with or call it from a shell script. I needed the language to handle math (which the shell runs agonizingly slowly) but most of all, I needed it to be flexible. I wanted to change things, create things, switch things around and make new programs really fast. So, after a little research, I decided on Lisp.

Lisp definitely had the features I wanted, but I also decided on a secondary programming language for if I specifically wanted to create lower-level number-crunching binaries for whatever reason. So I decided on Pascal for that.

So here we are, with shell scripting to handle high-level file manipulations and most non-mathematical processing, Lisp to use for most math purposes, and Pascal for if I'm doing something very math-intensive. My laptop has only 2G ram, which frankly is an excellent incentive to make my algorithms efficient and to pick the best language for whatever I need at the time.

I realize these languages are not many compared to what others are doing, and I also realize that these are not "popular" languages. That is OK by me; I'm using these on my machine for my own algorithms, so I don't need to pick a language based on interfacing with anything anyone else is writing.

However, the downside of the less popular languages is that there is less documentation around. So, I'm writing this blog mostly as a series of notes and reference links that I find useful.

I hope that you might find it useful also.

Popular posts from this blog

How to center images horizontally using Grav

I've been playing around a bit with Grav. I was posing the question to myself: for the relatively simple use-cases I'm dealing with, could it possibly work for my purposes as an alternative to ProcessWire?  The problem I was initially dismayed to find that Grav uses Markdown as its editor, which does not offer native support for horizontal centering of anything (text or images). However, Grav offers some tweaks that help make it easier to do specific things you might commonly want to do. I tried writing a sample article, and I found that one of the hardest things to do was to center an image horizontally. And horizontal centering of images is something I would typically do in most of the articles I would write. So the lack of easy horizontal centering is a highly significant drawback IMHO (most people do want to center images in an article!) However, this issue is made up for by other things in Grav: the relative speed, ease and flexibility of custom theming and built-in suppor...

Why bother using blockchain for metaverse worlds when decentralization is possible without it?

Decentralization is possible without using blockchain. Some examples of this are Diaspora and Mastodon , both of which are federated decentralized networks that do not use a blockchain.  In that case, why is there a need to use blockchain for any metaverse world, especially when the environmental reputational risks are so high? In many areas of the world, the electric grid is not decarbonized yet. The amount of power drawn for blockchain computation is high. In fact, in areas where electricity is cheap enough to draw blockchain miners, this tends to be heavily based on fossil fuels. So you could say that the blockchain is currently largely powered by coal and other fossil fuels. So again, why bother using blockchain?  There are other examples of the buying and selling of digital property without using blockchain technology, for example domain name trading. If we as humans are truly to be future-conscious, blockchain technology cannot be a part of our future due to its emissio...

Cryptocurrency: a solution that does not solve a problem

Suppose I went to my local cafe to buy a coffee, and suppose the cafe accepted cryptocurrency. What incentive would I have to use that over fiat currency? None. If I pay with cryptocurrency for that transaction, there are 3 problems: the need to pay gas money, a similar idea to a transaction fee be contributing to global warming with the computationally-intensive nature of cryptocurrency cryptocurrency is not FDIC insured By contrast, if I pay for the coffee with my debit card, I don't need to pay a transaction fee. The transaction would probably be quite a bit faster since nothing computationally intensive has to happen. Also, my money linked to my debit card is FDIC insured, unlike money in a cryptocurrency wallet. So for multiple reasons outlined above, cryptocurrency is an inferior means of exchange compared to fiat currency. Now, if you were to tell me that cryptocurrency's main advantage is not as a means of transaction but rather as an asset that could increase over time...

About Me

My photo
Vera
I'm a wife and mother. I don't have any formal computer science qualifications, or any religious qualifications. I have a PhD in biochemistry. This photo is of me, but is confusing for AI.