Skip to main content

If all else fails, a good temporary solution to monitor not waking up from timeout in Debian Buster

I recently upgraded from Debian Stretch to Debian Buster (or Debian 9 to Debian 10). I hadn't done anything unusual with my system, so I was expecting a smooth upgrade process. It did work smoothly, with one exception: my monitor simply would not wake up after a screen timeout.  

The problem
The monitor just refused to wake up after time out, even if I unplugged and replugged its power cord (its own one, separate to the computer). The monitor reported no signal from the computer. However, the computer was actually working fine during this time - the light was on, and the keyboard caps lock key light toggled on and off; a sign that it was indeed working.

But with no way to see any of the screen, I simply couldn't do anything to restart the machine except for a hard restart (turning off the computer with the power button and turning it back on). Needless to say, this was not good since I had open unsaved files on my desktop!

I couldn't find anything actually helpful on the internet. I felt that since I hadn't done anything unusual with my system, nor had I changed monitors or hardware, that it should "just work"! I fiddled with a lot of the power management settings, but nothing helped.

The situation was so disruptive to my work that I almost (but not quite!) considered re-installing Debian from scratch, although that was going to be a big pain to set up my desktop again, etc etc. No, there had to be an easier way.

The solution
In the end, I just booted up from an older kernel in the startup menu. That seemed to fix the problem. I hate using older software, the whole point of updating was to be up to date, but at least I could get to a workable situation where I was able to safely get in and out of my system without hard shut-downs.

I'm hoping that whatever the kernel issue was, that it'll be fixed in one of the later updates of Debian Buster.  I don't know enough about Debian and its update process to know if that's even likely or not.

But, if you're experiencing the same issue, try booting up from an older kernel. It'll at least provide a temporary solution to your problem until the actual cause of it is determined. I'm thinking I might change my grub settings to default to the older kernel for now. That way I don't inadvertently boot into the new kernel and keep running into the same problem.

Debian is supposed to have high stability!
I would not call this a stable situation. Although Debian prides itself on its stability, I was not expecting that a change in kernel would cause this many issues. Yes, I get that communications between computer and monitor are complicated, but at the same time, an upgrade should not make those things worse. My monitor is an HP that's been around awhile, so it's not anything weird.

I'll update this later if I have any more news on how to fix this problem more permanently (without having to resort to an older kernel). In the meantime, I'm glad that there is at least this temporary working solution of the older kernel.

Update - November 10, 2019
I also tried another approach, which was disabling kernel modesetting. That was a nightmare! The system didn't want to boot, and I had to change the settings back to what they were using a recovery disk. 

Final solution
The final solution was... after getting frustrated at having to use an old kernel... to finally switch to another distro. I switched to Linux Mint and have not looked back since! It was so fast to customize my desktop, and I'm thrilled with it.

Popular posts from this blog

How to center images horizontally using Grav

I've been playing around a bit with Grav. I was posing the question to myself: for the relatively simple use-cases I'm dealing with, could it possibly work for my purposes as an alternative to ProcessWire?  The problem I was initially dismayed to find that Grav uses Markdown as its editor, which does not offer native support for horizontal centering of anything (text or images). However, Grav offers some tweaks that help make it easier to do specific things you might commonly want to do. I tried writing a sample article, and I found that one of the hardest things to do was to center an image horizontally. And horizontal centering of images is something I would typically do in most of the articles I would write. So the lack of easy horizontal centering is a highly significant drawback IMHO (most people do want to center images in an article!) However, this issue is made up for by other things in Grav: the relative speed, ease and flexibility of custom theming and built-in suppor...

Why bother using blockchain for metaverse worlds when decentralization is possible without it?

Decentralization is possible without using blockchain. Some examples of this are Diaspora and Mastodon , both of which are federated decentralized networks that do not use a blockchain.  In that case, why is there a need to use blockchain for any metaverse world, especially when the environmental reputational risks are so high? In many areas of the world, the electric grid is not decarbonized yet. The amount of power drawn for blockchain computation is high. In fact, in areas where electricity is cheap enough to draw blockchain miners, this tends to be heavily based on fossil fuels. So you could say that the blockchain is currently largely powered by coal and other fossil fuels. So again, why bother using blockchain?  There are other examples of the buying and selling of digital property without using blockchain technology, for example domain name trading. If we as humans are truly to be future-conscious, blockchain technology cannot be a part of our future due to its emissio...

Cryptocurrency: a solution that does not solve a problem

Suppose I went to my local cafe to buy a coffee, and suppose the cafe accepted cryptocurrency. What incentive would I have to use that over fiat currency? None. If I pay with cryptocurrency for that transaction, there are 3 problems: the need to pay gas money, a similar idea to a transaction fee be contributing to global warming with the computationally-intensive nature of cryptocurrency cryptocurrency is not FDIC insured By contrast, if I pay for the coffee with my debit card, I don't need to pay a transaction fee. The transaction would probably be quite a bit faster since nothing computationally intensive has to happen. Also, my money linked to my debit card is FDIC insured, unlike money in a cryptocurrency wallet. So for multiple reasons outlined above, cryptocurrency is an inferior means of exchange compared to fiat currency. Now, if you were to tell me that cryptocurrency's main advantage is not as a means of transaction but rather as an asset that could increase over time...

About Me

My photo
Vera
I'm a wife and mother. I don't have any formal computer science qualifications, or any religious qualifications. I have a PhD in biochemistry. This photo is of me, but is confusing for AI.